Sunday, February 5, 2017

Research Journal #1

What was the process by which you narrowed down potential topics to two appropriate ones? And how were these decisions made on the basis of either class discussion, or our required, course textbook (Aveyard 2014), or both?
~The process by which I narrowed down potential topics to two appropriate ones was what interested me. I took deep interest in researching about anxiety and depressive disorders, because I face these myself. I started to find few articles on how the quality of life is effected of an individual with these disorder/s. Also, how this correlated with no treatment being done, or no help being asked for. Mostly the class discussions helped me make my decisions; we learned how to narrow a search down in many ways, and I have used those in finding my topics. I used key terms such as, "anxiety" and "depressive disorders," then I found the treatment gap articles, and I have narrowed my search to that point so far. 

What research question did you choose, and how are I can be sure you're making a reasoned, academic judgement on the basis of chapters 1-3 (Aveyard 2014)?
~The research question I chose, as of right now, is; What and how awareness can be brought for individuals facing depressive disorders to seek treatment in order to improve their quality of life? I am making a reasoned judgement, because these disorders do interfere with everyday life, and there is not enough awareness about these and many go undiagnosed.

What article (or articles) are you basing this question on, and what type of article is it (research, theory, policy, practice) (citation[s] in APA, please)? 
~
Policy and Practice
Kohn, R., Saxena, S., Levav, I., & Saraceno, B. (2004). The treatment gap in mental health care.    Retrieved January 29, 2017.
Policy and Cohort
Mendlowicz, M. V., & Stein, M. B. (2000). Quality of Life in Individuals With Anxiety Disorders. American Journal of Psychiatry,157(5), 669-682. doi:10.1176/appi.ajp.157.5.669
Policy and Cohort 
Ustun, T. B., Ayuso-Mateos, J. L., Chatterji, S., Mathers, C., & Murray, C. L. (2004). Global burden of depressive disorders in the year 2000. The British Journal of Psychiatry,184(5), 386-392. doi:10.1192/bjp.184.5.386

How can I be sure that the key vocabulary of the question corresponds not only to literature in the field, but also to chapter 1-3 (Aveyard 2014)?
~Well I am still not sure if the key vocabulary of my question corresponds to literature and to chapters 1-3 (Aveyard 2014). This is because I still need to do more research on these key vocabulary regarding my research to find more reliable articles. 

Based on what your question is, what kind of literature are you going to need? Again, please explicitly reference the text (Aveyard 2014). What is your hierarchy of evidence?
~The kind of literature I am going to need;
  1. Qualitative review; qualitative description of quality of life going negative without treatment from the depressive disorders
  2. Quantitative review; from past studies, how many individuals with depressive disorders go untreated
  3. Opinions; opinions on this public health problem from experts in public health or who have themselves gone through these disorders
How exactly did you research question arise out of "practice"?
~Well I am not sure how it directly arose from "practice" but I think the people who diagnose these disorders do know how many people come for treatment and how many do not, according to many people acknowledging symptoms. Also, experts from these fields have practice and know what these cause for an individual everyday going through these depressive untreated disorders.

How do you define your key terms, and how do these definitions link to key journals in the field?
~Anxiety; feeling of unease
~Depression; unhappy, feeling down
~Depressive Disorders; any disorder making you feel negative (many negative feelings, etc) persistently 
~These definitions link to key journals in the field of my research directly, this is what my topic is based upon. I have used these terms only to find my topic, because I wished to keep it narrowed.

Did anything unexpected happen? From you initial search, does it appear as though your research question will work? Or does the vocabulary and/or type of research sought need to be changed?
~Something unexpected happened in one of the articles I chose, it had only 1 page explaining the "research" done on the quality of life for individuals with depressive disorders. But it had many pages just explaining and talking about this. I was expecting more on the initial research though. 
~From the initial search, now it seems like still that my question might work well, but I will probably have to end up changing it around a bit. I will probably have to narrow my search more and add the current vocabulary terms with new ones I might find while searching more. 

Any final thoughts?
~Do more research and try to find more articles to support my question is my best bet for this. Otherwise I should start heading a new direction around my topic, and get a new research question, SOON!!








No comments:

Post a Comment